Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers (HCP):
10:30 am to 2:30 pm
This course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety of in- and out- of hospital settings. This audience includes nurses, physicians, EMS professionals, students in a healthcare program at a university/college, allied health professionals (physical therapists, occupational therapist, athletic trainers, etc.)
This course is a video-based, instructor-led classroom course that teaches both single-rescuer and team BLS skills for application in both in- and out-of-hospital settings. It delivers training to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, provide CPR to victims of all ages, use an AED and relieve choking in a safe, timely and effective manner.
Skills practice is included throughout this course. It also includes skills testing and a written test to ensure students demonstrate competency performing skills and have mastered knowledge of cognitive information. Upon successful completion, participants seeking either initial or renewal training would receive BLS for HCP course completion card issued by AHA.
Course Content: Content taught in the BLS for Healthcare Providers Course includes:
- Key changes in basic life support science from the 2010 AHA Guidelines for CPR & ECC
- Critical concepts of high-quality CPR
- The AHA Chain of Survival
- 1-Rescuer CPR/AED for Adult/Child/Infant
- 2-Rescuer CPR/AED for Adult/Child/Infant
- Differences between Adult, Child and Infant rescue techniques
- Bag-mask techniques for Adult, Child and Infant
- Rescue breathing for Adult, Child and Infant
- Relief of choking for Adult, Child and Infant
- CPR with an advanced airway*
(This is an introduction to the compression/ventilation rate and ratio for a patient who has an advanced airway in place.)
If you are interested in taking the class, please contact Paulette Dennis
at (212) 616-7254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is mandatory.